Syracuse Orange Blogger Awards – Favorite Game
Posted by syracusan on March 29, 2007
It’s my turn to pass out an amusingly named S.O.B. Award! (Much thanks to Getting Back to ’03 for the handoff.) I get the honor of announcing the Otto for Favorite Game.
Not unlike Best Freshman and Best Senior, this category has a pretty obvious answer. Unless someone is biased towards a game they saw in person that happened to be very exciting, or if for some reason you really hate South Florida and get chills every time we beat them, my guess was that most would lean towards that final home game against Georgetown. That said, the old rivalry with UConn proved to have some legs even in a down year for the Huskies. Some voters still took enough satisfaction in seeing the pained look on Calhoun’s face to rank it above the win that should have vaulted us into the NCAAs. Here’s the rundown:
- DutchHart from Getting Back to ’03: “Georgetown”
- Howie from Sports Night: “Win over UConn at home.”
- Ray over at OrangeHoops: “Georgetown”
- Matt from Orange44: “Connecticut v. Syracuse. Syracuse finally won a game that I attended. The fact that Connecticut was terrible this year is pointless; the fact that the ‘Matt Glaude Streak of Defeat’ is over is of great importance.”
- My Cuse Country co-contributor Josh: “Georgetown, though a runnerup vote for Rutgers just because it was one of only two wins I saw in person (the other was UNC-Charlotte) and the atmosphere at the RAC is great.”
- My Cuse Country co-contributor Tim: “It’s hard not to pick the G’Town game here, although it loses points for the false hope it engendered.”
- Sean from Troy Nunes Etc: “The Georgetown game. I know, its easy to say now but I just had a feeling it was gonna be a good game for us. Home crowd, Georgetown, Syracuse was playing for their lives, Georgetown was sitting pretty…it was the perfect storm for a memorable victory.”
For the record, my vote goes to the Holy Cross game on November 27th. At that point we were 7-0 and looking great. From that point on the season was nothing but an endless shit storm of disappointment and heartbreak.
But amongst the serious votes, the tally is 5 votes for the Georgetown game and 2 for the UConn game in the Dome. So the winner is:
Laying the hammer down on an eventual Final Four team on Senior night is something worth savoring; I can’t argue with this pick, though Tim does bring up a good point about its bittersweet nature given what was to come.
Check in at 4 PM for the next S.O.B. award over at Orange44.